GLEN WAVERLEY UNITING CHURCH
MEETING OF THE CONGREGATION
To be held in the Church at 11:30am on Sunday 28th July 2019 - following the 10:00am Combined Worship service.
1. Welcome and Apologies
Apologies: Vida Foo, David and Sue Morgan,
3. Confirmation of Minutes of Meeting held on 3rd March 2019
The minutes of the December meeting of the congregation are at CongMeetingMinutes20190303
4. Matters arising from the previous Minutes
6. Reports and Recommendations
6.1. Congregational Outreach Projects in 2019
2018 Congregational Outreach Projects selection committee chair or delegate.
Consider recommendations from the 2019 Congregational Outreach Projects selection committee (for decision).
6.1.1. Project Summaries
Details of the proposed projects are in COPProposals2019.pdf also displayed below.
1. “The congregation resolves that all profit from the 2019 Fete is to be distributed to Charity”
2. “The congregation resolves that the charities listed in the distributed COP brochure shall participate in the distribution of 2019 Fete profits"
3. “The congregation endorses the Distribution of the 2019 Fete profits as shown in the COP Brochure for Profits of $20,000, 25,000 & 30,000"
4. “The Congregation resolves that the COP Committee be authorised to allocate profits intermediate to, or beyond those now approved"
5. “The Congregation resolves that the COP Committee is to advise the Congregation of the final allocation to all nine charities, in the first available Bulletin after the Fete profit is finalised”
6.2. Ministry Team Report
Some good news about some of our programmes (for information)
6.3. Church Council Report
6.4. Finance Report
Treasurer or delegate (for information)
7. Other Business
7.1. Recognition of Australia's First Peoples
Congregation meeting chair.
At the November 2019 meeting of the congregation (CongMeetingMinutes20181120), it was agreed by consensus that we, as a congregation, would like to progress acknowledgement of Australia's first peoples in some way. Since then, there there have been numerous opportunities for interested people to submit ideas concerning how the Glen Waverley Uniting Church might recognise Australia's first peoples. See DiscussionRecognitionOfAustraliasFirstPeoples.
A concensus has emerged to place a plaque with suitable words outside the church in a place that can be seen by people walking by or using the outdoor seats. Some options for placement are:
- Place (cement) on a large rock under the Gum Tree in the Kingsway facing garden.
- Place a plaque on the pillar beside our own Foundation Stone on the Bogong Ave entrance.
- Place a plaque inside on the wall where our Foundation Stones and memorial plaques exist (near the sound room).
An open meeting of the congregation on June 16 considered wording for the plaque and agreed to the following. "We, the Glen Waverley Congregation of the Uniting Church in Australia acknowledge that the land on which we gather is part of the traditional lands of the Kulin nation. We respect the close spiritual and cultural ties of Australia's first people to the land, and recognise elders past, present and emerging. We commit to work for reconciliation with indigenous people and justice for all."
"The congregation resolved to recognise Australia's first peoples by placing a plaque containing the following wording in a place that can be seen by people walking by or using the outdoor seats: We, the Glen Waverley Congregation of the Uniting Church in Australia acknowledge that the land on which we gather is part of the traditional lands of the Kulin nation. We respect the close spiritual and cultural ties of Australia's first people to the land, and recognise elders past, present and emerging. We commit to work for reconciliation with indigenous people and justice for all."
7.2. Planning for the election of Church Councillors
Congregation meeting chair.
It is proposed to conduct an election for church councillors on to be added. This year there are some current Church Councillors whose terms are expiring. While some may renominate, there will be other vacancies to fill.
As has been the practice in the recent past, it is proposed to allow voting following each worship activity on the designated election Sunday. Details of the procedure will be available on CongregationalPage.